Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
3 members and 30 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 33

We have 3 member(s), 5 spiders, 30 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
elnorask60, elnorask60, elnorask60

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (66):

MG42 parts kit question
Weaponeer Forums : MG42, MG3, M53

Posted in MG42, MG3, M53
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  brandong91

Private
Private

Posted: April 12 2017 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote brandong91

Hi, forgive me if this is not allowed but I have a question on the MG42 parts kit. I am fairly new to building 80 percent receivers (I am experienced in welding/machining) and I am starting to order a bunch of different parts kits. I stumbled upon a Nazi stamped MG42 with a saw cut receiver, the kit looked to be in overall good shape. It is listed on gunbroker. The starting bid was like $450 or so and I placed a max bid of $1000. I quickly got out bid and it is up to like $1100. How much does this parts kit usually go for these days? I've never really kept my eye out for parts kits prices but I seem to recall a few years ago you could order a mg42 kit from the shotgun news for like 600-800.

I've read about the mg42 80 percent receivers and to me it looks like a complicated build, no I was not going to start on it just yet if I was to get it, I was wanting to have a couple of easier builds under my belt first. And again forgive me if this is not allowed in this topic, I am new to this wonderful site. Thanks, Brandon

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View brandong91's Profile Search for other posts by brandong91

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 12 2017 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

MOST kits are Yugo M53. A German kit with an old saw cut complete receiver will get a pretty good premium. If you add up what you need added to a recent import it's not too bad in comparison. Rear receiver section barrel jacket repair piece,and barrel is a chunk of change anymore. An older Yugo kit with a barrel is a better starting option.

80% receivers depend on how you want to build, either FAL or AR fire control group. A lot of people bitched how hard Wiselite's receiver was because they were made to work with both and you had to make it work. I don't know anything about the ones that are "clamshell" you need to weld together.

Here is a pretty good deal

https://mg34.com/product/m-53-mg-42-spare-parts-set-excellen t-condition/?removed_item=1

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

Tom5390

Private
Private

Posted: April 19 2017 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote Tom5390

What a lot of builders don't realize is you can at this time make your own 'saw cut' M53 only much cheaper. Find a M53 Apex or Centerfire kit with a decent shroud (most now are).

Square up the front bushing torch cut, (1) install a RTG MG3 bushing (easy), square up the rear cut of the shroud, (2) install a set of Global Machine receiver shells (again easy), cut off the rear of the GM receiver, square off an RTG MG3 rear receiver buffer stub (3)...and there you have it...a 3 'saw cut' build. Keep it straight, keep it to correct length and you have a saw cut easy re-weld.
View Tom5390's Profile Search for other posts by Tom5390

Ty.gunsmith

Private
Private

Posted: May 03 2017 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote Ty.gunsmith

I ordered my receiver from BRP and all I had to do was rivet in the rails, rivet and weld the buffer tabs, and mill in the changing handle rails. After that it was just a mater of welding the bushing in the shroud and welding the shroud to the receiver making sure the length is correct.
the only build I did before the M53 was an uzi so it really is pretty simple. Definitely take notes from the guys on MG42.us they have a lot of good info with pictures and blueprints.
View Ty.gunsmith's Profile Search for other posts by Ty.gunsmith

<< Prev Topic MG42, MG3, M53 Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version