Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
0 member and 25 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

PPSH 41 Barrel, 2 questions
Weaponeer Forums : Barrel Information

Posted in Barrel Information
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Xebedee

Private
Private

Posted: April 03 2017 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote Xebedee

Hello,

I am new to this forum.
Have searched it without luck and could use a little direct help please?
I am doing a semi-build, bfong for reenacting and have two questions which are hanging things up.

1. The dwg of the PPSH barrel states its flange thickness at the trunion of 2mm. Any photo image I have seen implies that the flange is more like 4 or 5mm?
Would someone with an actual barrel please check that it is 2mm?
(aka 0.079")

One other thing:

2. When a round is seated fully in the chamber of the PPSH barrel, what is the distance between the flange face and the face of the round?
I would anticipate about 2mm, but it would be very useful to know the actual precise distance. Yes, this has to do with Head-spacing but we are planning on using non-std blanks in a custom chamber.

In advance, thanks very much for the help.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View Xebedee's Profile Search for other posts by Xebedee

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 03 2017 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Welcome to Weaponeer.  Got any Legos?
Funny x 1
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

ryche

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: April 04 2017 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote ryche

Since my barrel is currently out of mine i will check for you.
By flange you mean the thickness of the end of the barrel that seats against the trunion i assume?
Ryche
Agree x 1

Xebedee

Private
Private

Posted: April 04 2017 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote Xebedee

ryche:
Yes, indeed. The thickness of the bit which bears up against the trunnion face.
That would be really helpful, thanks.
.......and whilst you have the calipers in your hand.........
Could you put a round in the barrel chamber and measure the distance between that outer flange face and that of the round?

Many thanks.

backbencher:
I do, but they only let me have the big ones.
I eat the small ones.
Funny x 1

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 05 2017 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Lol!  I build gunstocks out of mine.  Actual working gunstocks.
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

Xebedee

Private
Private

Posted: April 05 2017 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote Xebedee

I'm going to post a request in the PPSH forum on this topic and also that of the head-spacing.

As I get deeper into this info it becomes more interesting and specific, so please, if you know the answers to my first questions, I am sure they are still very relevant to what I'm doing.

I'll explain it fully there........

Cheers!

ryche

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: April 06 2017 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote ryche

hey Xeb... the measure on the 7.62 barrel flange is anywhere from 5.09 to 5.12 mm. that being said mine is an orig. Chinese piece, might explain some of the variant in size.
cart. depth is 3.71 to 3.76 mm going around the cart.

the 9mm barrel flange is 5.17 to 5.19 mm.
cart. depth is 3.30 to 3.32mm going around the cart.
Hope this helps with your project
Ryche

Xebedee

Private
Private

Posted: April 06 2017 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote Xebedee

Thanks Ryche
Xeb

Ill get some images posted when things move along.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 07 2017 at 12:02am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Xebedee wrote:
Hello,

2. When a round is seated fully in the chamber of the PPSH barrel, what is the distance between the flange face and the face of the round?
I would anticipate about 2mm, but it would be very useful to know the actual precise distance. Yes, this has to do with Head-spacing but we are planning on using non-std blanks in a custom chamber.

In advance, thanks very much for the help.

I'm a little confused about your headspacing question.

Your going to use a non-standard custom blank, yet your asking questions, related to the 7.62x25mm head-space. The head-spacing will depend on the caliber your converting it to, and how that caliber head-space's  typically  straight wall case Vs bottleneck case.

9mm being a straight wall, rimless case head-spaces off the case mouth, contacting the chamber cartridge stop.
Headspace length = .750"
Chamber ID = .390"
YMMV

Obviously bottle necked cartridges head-space on the shoulders, and rimmed cartridges head-space on the rim.   So without knowing what caliber and type of blank your intending to run, it's very difficult to answer the question directly.

Now on to the legality.  if your in the USA, the blank barrel has to be welded to the trunnion, and if your shooting a blank version of a real caliber, then you must have something welded in the barrel that would stop a live round, in case live ammo is "somehow" loaded and fired.  such as drilling a hole in the barrel, and installing a fair size steel pin (I'm guessing at least half the diameter of the bore) and a blank adapter at the end of the barrel, with a hole in the center.

Blank Adapter's
most blank adapters are either in bore, like a washer that is installed between the barrel and the muzzle device, typically called the holly wood blank adapter, or the most common, a device that is attached to the barrel with a gas port in the center that allows just enough pressure to operate the action while venting the rest.

But, a few people weld on a device that slide's over the barrel, but the "center" port was much larger and threaded than normal, but still under the bore diameter, and had several thread inserts with different sized holes (blank adapter gas ports) so if there is a change in blanks or the number of grains, you can adjust the blank adapter port size, otherwise the Blank Firing PPsh will simply destroy itself, from the bolt slamming against the rear trunnion.

If I were to build something, I would simply design it like an adjustable gas system with a bore diameter sized pin with several different sized holes in it (4?) with a knob below the barrel or directly under the front sight, where it would be accessible to the shooter and adjustable without tools, yet hardly noticeable. This way if you shoot a tremendous amount of blanks in one day, and Mr "pe-pe-sha" is really dirty and not working very well, you could just advance to the next  number/port size to keep on shooting.

Granted, most of the above, you may already know, but it's also good basic information for other readers as well.

Best regard's

Weaponeer

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

<< Prev Topic Barrel Information Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version