Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 31 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 32

We have 1 member(s), 6 spiders, 31 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
djfmtm

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (82):

Just got a compound bow
Weaponeer Forums : Open Forum

Posted in Open Forum
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: March 22 2017 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

... because, you know, I need another money/time/life sucking hobby.

I had done archery in Boy Scouts. I did it after school a little. The girlfriend has a bow. She enjoys it. My last trip out to the range she brought it and had some fun with it. We just went on vacation and they had a little archery alley set up. Fast forward to now, my father is still cleaning out my grandfather's treasures and found a bow. My grandfather had won it in a raffle. It had never even been drawn before. It's a Ben Pearson compound bow. I brought it to an avid archery hunter here at work. He says it's vintage mid to late 70's. They don't make cams like this anymore. The cable system is outdated. It'd be cheaper to buy a newer, contemporary bow than to retrofit this one to bring it to performance standards but if I just wanted it for the backyard it'd be suitable.

I ordered a new string for 10 bucks because he advised me they dry rot. Once that arrives, he has a gauge that helps determine the arrow spine so I can pick out some arrows.
I keep meaning to post pictures... I'll do a photo dump eventually.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View Paraquat's Profile Search for other posts by Paraquat

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 29 2017 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I used to hunt deer with a Compound Bow. I believe I still have a Ben Pearson recurve hiding someplace in storage. but it's only 45 lbs.

I have not taken them out of the case in 17 years, and i bet it's been at least 20 years since shooting the compound bow, and it's been 35 years since I have fired the recurve (which cost me a whole $15 used)

I think my Arrow shooting now is limited to Crossbows and DIY compressed air arrow shooters, because a decade ago I had a major hand injury, resulting in me becoming a partial hand Amputee (left hand, and I'm right handed)  So if I were to shoot the Compound bow, the arrow would fly down range, closely followed by the compound Bow...  lol

You would think, well, good thing it's your left hand..  but all drive up windows are on the left side and I have to hand them the money, receive the change and food... The funny part is the vast majority of people don't notice...  They see what they expect to see..  I learned that a couple decades before, after becoming a Burn Survivor. lol  The website's I built before this were were Online Support Groups for Burn Survivors Around the world, in fact I was the first person to ever build a peer support group on the internet, and now they are all over the place.   lol, so the old body is pretty beat up.   

And  the 16 years in the Army sure didn't help it out at all.  Now a Disabled veteran with two separate spinal injuries, with very severe chronic pain.  But I still have a few parts kits to build or finish which I can physically do, but I have not posted any builds because as a disabled veteran unable to work,  the VA only pays me enough to just barely keep me alive (no exaggeration), so my choice is eat (and not very well) or "as you know" buy cheap much needed parts.  lol

And now you know why I'm always asking for donations to pay Weaponeer.net Monthly hosting fees...  It's not a cheap website  and it's going to greatly go up in costs, because we are well over our website size limit, and need to move to the highest dedicated website plans.  which suck's because weaponeer.net has to be the worst site for getting any donations, and only if I beg..

I miss the old days of weaponeer when hosting was a non-issue, and I had a couple K of income.  back when they didn't enforce the barrel ban until the democraps forced the ban.  that pretty much ended importing parts kits as we know it today.

Maybe I should post the video on how to build the DIY high power arrow rifle & pistol..  that's a pretty cheap project and easy enough that everyone should be able to do it.  just as long as people don't start showing up are the bow clubs with them, and try deer hunting with them 9which they would do just fine, but the DNR might be a little less than pleased  lol...   heck, If I don't post the video's someone needs to remind me..     It's a little less life and money sucking than compound's   lol           

Sorry, Paraquat, I seem to have potentially taken over your thread, assuming someone other than me and you reads it...  roflol                

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: March 29 2017 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Is there another ISP that would have a lower cost?
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: March 30 2017 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

This is the bow.
Put a new 27" 12 strand string on it. It measured at 30 lb draw.
The guy who helped set it up gave me some 30" arrows. They overhang quite a bit which works to my advantage. He recently changed his setup and has a ton of 27" arrows he can no longer use.

The best things in life are free.
He also gave me a 1'x1' foam target.

I was eager to get out in the back yard and try it. I was able to hit the 1x1 foam target from about 20 feet away with the first two arrows. On the third, I wanted to see how far off the sights were. I missed the foam by about 4 feet and somehow managed to hit a fence pole. The pole is only about an inch and a half?!
Bent the arrow, shattered the nock, gouged the tip. Good thing I have extras now.

a la this?

Yikes! I knew you were a disabled veteran but I did not know to what extent. If ever we cross paths, dinner is on me.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 31 2017 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

backbencher wrote:
Is there another ISP that would have a lower cost?

Not for our size.   weaponeer gets around a half million views a month, and all our data (threads etc.) are stored in a Microsoft SQL Server database which is a GB in size now.

The one thing that would instantly push us over the TOP is getting the photo uploads fixed. I prefer to have all photos uploaded here, because 6 months later they are all deleted on most other servers, and when you loose the photos, you loose all the data in the thread.      

the hosting costs go from under $100 a month, to well over $100 per month for the website's (we have two...   one is the store) and two large MS Server Databases.  it gets REALLY spooky for me for a lot of added stress, because I don't know if we have the money for the hosting until a couple hours before they turn us off. and at the last minute it takes a while before sales approves the site payment and turns us back on.   the time the website was down for a month, I didn't even get a rush of emails saying what happen and how do we get back online. in the end I had to beg the other admin for the money.  and then the website host to turn us on for 24 hours to send out the emails to keep weaponeer around.  the problem has always been, getting donations.......       &n bsp;         &n bsp;         &n bsp;         &n bsp;   

Next time, please ask the question related to the website or myself on a separate thread so it does not obstruct or highjack important build thread's.  

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

taztheblade

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: March 31 2017 at 9:02pm | IP Logged Quote taztheblade

any prints for that arrow gun??

View taztheblade's Profile Search for other posts by taztheblade

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: April 03 2017 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

I wasted loads of arrows when I first learnt to use my compound bow, even the practice arrows with a big rubber teat on them used to bury themselves into the dirt.
I got mine from a friends father he had bought it and fired at a target against an oak garage door, which promptly went straight through the door and through the radiator of his Volvo.

It was then he decided to sell it, which was how I ended up with it.

I sold it after learning to use it, as it had cost me a small fortune in lost arrows
View UKBiker's Profile Search for other posts by UKBiker

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 17 2017 at 5:28am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Well, I talked about a DIY Compressed air, arrow shooter that's ultra simple in design...  and here it is....  and it comes from none other than YouTube's  DIY Sling Shot lover and builder Joerg Sprave

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 17 2017 at 5:40am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

and another video on the Ultimate air powered, super sized arrow, arrow shooter.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 17 2017 at 6:10am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Project 1,000 Joule Airbow: 92% there!

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: April 17 2017 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

I love this guy's laugh.

<< Prev Topic Open Forum Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version