Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
4 members and 26 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 30

We have 4 member(s), 7 spiders, 26 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
MartishSoits, HoxiasillHist, Brainwourb, carlrw4

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (178):
HoxiasillHist, Brainwourb, FugJertantara, MartishSoits, carlrw4, alibiaEmand, FoneeZexCot, carmelaan69, fermneoroup, optovkatex, old guns, uplikigue, Juitlekneentero, empisypeSpeancy, soriissuend, erolerenelo, vozysoove, WilliamENFOK, Charleskip, ExceteRem, KeypeBreelty, reonfubrolo, mereebova, Murasnasp, Altessy, russyMixail, rulmiriucculkiz, Beefcake, MarkReext, Wraklyadula, ArthuImpob, fefAdmike, tesPexengexia, Dongokwourb, inna_emmx, EvaemodE, QLRobert, Whitneyendag, janeyp16, manuelgv18, DayliKib, marilynaj18, Raneswourb, EugeneaPhown, RatTaittar, florakj69, Progonhic, minervald69, Fragkos, juliettesp60, Bandinayawourb, hollielk4, Darinwhish, JamesJig, toddjg69, shaunawc2, bikergunnut, minervazk11, Vinereywourb, caitlinbk18, monauz4, Derekrarty, Kennethlib, CalvinVat, ArtemPailk, celinakc11, Flux, ArseniyJah, BogdanAutot, tamikaze11, carlosty16, geraldinewt11, kurtcq18, Waltermox, whitneyzc11, jaynecg2, StephenJep, Mingledorffwourb, SpikeBuilt, kering4, Stevieven, Gearglani, williamyd16, sidneyhs18, Jackiefiend, lavernejs3, Shadowrunnerwourb, lesleyzk3, kimxc3, cal50, evgenwat, jeremydy1, backbencher, HellDragonwourb, bridgetux2, terraih16, bbrown, ollieio11, dalefp1, Olgacag, Buzatuswourb, jolenelg3, davidgb60, jimdoc, helenezb16, miguelhg1, jaimevu2, SanyokSmoks, jetloco, ds1948, Warum, CanadafinN, toddww69, zedsdead, rrayepalcixi, Gentrabo, margieua4, cewecah, angeljc69, luellash69, kristenvo69, Gavinramatwourb, lynnettegr1, edwardub69, ebeotuwikofa, lillianxy60, Forrestbug, sochi.cat/-Weino, dimentObjestben, serenarr69, hilarygq2, Trashminwourb, Maynardvuh, JamesHap, Josephabaph, KennethBum, Ronaldsaulp, Dameenawourb, azotas, carlyyp11, Nusaward, rachelye2, JulianSMB, mariettatv60, benjaminex3, AWilliamtoInc, JamesImmot, Qanadwourb, Paraquat, GreogyFlepe, ezulokemu, constancedp2, opagoyar, Adoradwynwourb, oiyigen, ryche, Lornakic, nettieft69, 11millimeter, travisin3, ronzor, susanapl60, agrohimmrb, Hugoherwourb, Smallboy, natalieks2, kentef69, vincentsi16, Gralindawourb, Canadian Pharmacy On, Faugarwourb, tr6guns, Antonwer, madjqo, Henryfab, shannonsp16, Parshallwourb, rogerkr69

Prof. Parabellum closed bolt semi build
Weaponeer Forums : Open Forum

Posted in Open Forum
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  PappaSunrise

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 20 2017 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote PappaSunrise

I'd just chop a few for recreational reasons to make the pistol a bit more easy to handle. I may get a 9mm upper eventually and can just use sten mags instead of colt or uzi mags, as long as the bolt will feed them off the magazine.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View PappaSunrise's Profile Search for other posts by PappaSunrise

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 20 2017 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

If you're wanting to use STEN mags in an AR, better grab a Hahn mag block & Olympic upper now, Olympic is going out of business in a week.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 20 2017 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

PappaSunrise wrote:
I'd just chop a few for recreational reasons to make the pistol a bit more easy to handle. I may get a 9mm upper eventually and can just use sten mags instead of colt or uzi mags, as long as the bolt will feed them off the magazine.

Ah, if you're not chopping for legal reasons, put the top of the follower @ the bottom of the reinforcement, and chop @ the bottom of the follower.  You'll have 10-12 rounds then, depending on how your spring fits.

If you're chopping for legal reasons, there are very different considerations - it's very difficult to design a magazine that will only hold & feed 10 rounds, and can't easily be modified by corrupt state agents to hold more.

PappaSunrise

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 20 2017 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote PappaSunrise

Those Olympic uppers are pretty expensive. I don't know if I could justify buying one honestly.

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 20 2017 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

I don't know of anyone else building that style of PCC upper w/ the ejector in the upper.  Colt style magblocks use modified Uzi mags & a fixed ejector in the magblock.

The guy on Facebook who designed a Glock magwell used an Olympic upper - which is now DOA.

PappaSunrise

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 20 2017 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote PappaSunrise

I could always make my own magbock I suppose, and either just machine my own 9mm bolt to fit in a regular .223 upper with a 9mm barrel or make my own upper from scratch like I talked about on the other thread I have. Just something to play with at the range and use some 9mm ammo instead of the more expensive .223. I reload for both calibers but my 9mm rounds are only costing me about $.10 each since I cast my own bullets and have bulk powder.

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: February 21 2017 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

It's the future.

I have a Lone Wolf that takes Glock mags. I don't know if I've ever mentioned it, but I <3 9mm. It's a blast to shoot. I might SBR it and do a can if this hearing protection thing passes.

New Frontier makes an 80% that takes Glock mags but I've heard the mag catch is different. There's no taper so you have to depress the lever to insert a new mag. With the LW you just slam them in.

DDLES makes one too but I haven't had an experience with them.

Here are some 8 year old pictures:
http://www.oa2.org/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8396
View Paraquat's Profile Search for other posts by Paraquat

PappaSunrise

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 21 2017 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote PappaSunrise

Paraquat we can be friends, I love 9mm as a caliber.
Funny x 1

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 21 2017 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

DDLES is gone.  Circle 10 is the new maker of that design, w/ reportedly much improved customer service and new, improved, actual shipping!

PappaSunrise

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 27 2017 at 5:22am | IP Logged Quote PappaSunrise

I am almost done with the bolt, I had bought a few 1/8 carbide endmills but when I tried to take a cut they broke immediately. So I had to resort to what I do best, figuring something out. I am a professional tool sharpener so I have access to all sorts of grinding machines, the one I chose for this task is a Foley tool grinder. First I removed the collet holder and bolted on a vice, however the vice was turned 90 degrees the wrong way, so I had to use the precision vice from our surface grinder and put it in the jaws of the other vice. What a mess, but it worked alright. I put on a 1/8 cutting wheel and went at it. I ground the extractor and ejector slots and they turned out pretty good. Though I may still need to go deeper on the ejector slot. I had to remake the extractor a few times to get it perfect, but now it works incredibly well. Now I'm unsure if I want to weld the barrel into the receiver or drill and tap it for 4 10-32 button cap screws. I really hate tapping holes, however I will if it's the right way to go. What do you guys think?

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 27 2017 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Looking good.

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: February 27 2017 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

That's almost exactly as I imagined it would turn out. I think it'll help to have that extra bite on the rim.

I'd weld it. In my experience I've never shot out a barrel. Usually something else breaks first.

Do you roll your own 9? I picked up a few boolits from a local who has a casting operation. They look similar. He moly coats them. I ask because it's foreign to me to see exposed lead. Everything is usually plated or jacketed.

PappaSunrise

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 27 2017 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote PappaSunrise

I casting my own, yes. These are my old ones as I now powder coat them red. 124gr cast pill over 6gr of HS-6. Not the best load but it puts holes where I want them and at only $.10 each. I started reloading at 18 because I can own a handgun but can't buy ammo for it. I'm almost 20 now but still another year to go.

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: February 27 2017 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

You're younger than I assume. Good job making it happen.

The cat who cast mine marketed them as 124 but they consistently measure at 121.5 gr.
I was doing Titegroup but since the market settled a little I was able to get W231.
I did not care for the Titegroup. I felt it was dirty. I constantly saw glitter and was covered with back blast.

The W231 did phenomenal with 124 gr plated Berry's. I haven't processed the lead yet. I switched to some Lake City once fired brass and now my seating die leaves an imprint in the heads. Dillion said it's not an issue and is the result of heavier wall brass, regardless of flare.

PappaSunrise

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 27 2017 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote PappaSunrise

I had gotten 8lb of HS-6 after trying out a pound, it's a bit smokey with cast, less so with plated or powder coated, and almost no smoke with FMJ. I also bought 140lb of pure lead from a scrapyard for cheap, so my only hinderance is primers on occasion. My local shop closed after the owner found out he had cancer, so I have to get primers where I can. I run a Lee pro 1000 progressive. I just started polishing my cases with my Harbor Fright tumbler that I also use as a ball mill for making black powder. Your local supplier might be using a lead alloy with heavy amounts of tin or antimony, causing them to be a little less dense. Since I cast with pure lead and sometimes wheel weight alloy I get closer to 124gr.

PappaSunrise

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 27 2017 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote PappaSunrise

I'm also aware I'm younger than a lot of guys on here, but it's great because I may know a lot, but I don't have the experience that others may have. I'm going to plug weld the barrel into the receiver and grind the ejector slot a little deeper and longer. After that I'll just need to weld the top piece on the bolt to engage the recoil spring, case harden the bolt (if I even need to) and weld the spring tube onto the receiver. Then I'll need to make the grip reinforcement plates and I'll be damn close to finished.

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 27 2017 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Be careful making black powder.  There's a joke about "Poof!" and eyebrows here somewhere.

PappaSunrise

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 27 2017 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote PappaSunrise

I take every precaution I can, and work with small batches (100g).

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 27 2017 at 5:36pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

What are you shooting/blowing up w/ black powder?  Don't be ashamed of your age.  You're far ahead of not only your peers, but most of us when we were your age.

PappaSunrise

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 27 2017 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote PappaSunrise

I have a Pietta Colt 1860 cap and ball revolver. I cast my own balls of course and make my own black powder.

<< Prev Topic Open Forum Next Topic >>

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version