Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
4 members and 34 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 38

We have 4 member(s), 7 spiders, 34 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
curtisnm16, Hubby, curtisnm16, curtisnm16

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (58):

Ideas Thread
Weaponeer Forums : Open Forum

Posted in Open Forum
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: September 30 2017 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote justin22885

hmm.. ive never actually looked at browning a-bolt rifles before, just never been on my radar, but i just noticed they have interchangeable bolt heads just like the savage, and theyre $30.. furthermore theyre three-lugged, withe the upper left lug (looking at it from the front) has the extractor... i could use these for any rifle with a bottom magazine because unlike the savages, that bottom lug should be able to strip rounds from a double-feed mag just fine

does anyone know of any other rifles with readily available bolt heads like this?.. or at least an inexpensive bolt with a long, smooth bolt body that could be utilized as a one-piece head and sleeve?

the browning BLR lightweight has a bolt head as well, but i cant find those sold separately
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View justin22885's Profile Search for other posts by justin22885

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: October 02 2017 at 7:42am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Nice find.  I knew back in the day that the A-Bolts had a 60 degree bolt throw but never investigated further once the internet came.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

ds1948

E-2
E-2

Posted: October 02 2017 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote ds1948

Has anyone thought of using a bandolier as the belt in a belt fed weapon? Ive been looking at cheap nylon bandoliers like these https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0748PL2WN?psc=1 and thinking if they would be flexible and distanced enough to work with a belt fed pull out feed system. Aside from the ammo they are light and made to relatively close tolerances at least the brands ive seen. The biggest downside is a belt fed 12 gauge isn't something you use for white tail hunting.
View ds1948's Profile Search for other posts by ds1948

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: October 03 2017 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote justin22885

it should be possibly to do so with a pull feed as you say, something like a PKM, browning 1919, etc.. the only concern i would have is that you can often get little fibers coming off nylon that may gum something up, and im not sure how it'd handle the heat of any decent volume of fire

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: October 03 2017 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Given duck hunting is limited to a 3 round capacity, I'd love to see a duck gun w/ a side mount red dot and a 2 round top hopper you can just keep dropping shells into.

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: October 05 2017 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote justin22885

hmm, just to get a very, very small amount of more clearance in my 1.5" 5.56 tube gun idea, i found i could cut a strip out of the top of the tube, then weld a piece of a slightly larger tube over top to close it off giving me just a tad more space to fit an AR-18 size piston, the gas block and piston itself would have to be mounted outside of the receiver tube but at least the piston shaft and return spring would fit

however, im more comfortable with the DI system because theres no piston you have to fabricate, no gas rings really, its the simplest, lightest solution.. and wanting a tube gun that with a piston i think id rather give up on barrel/receiver concentricity and off-set the barrel lower than center in the trunnion and add an AR-18 like piston.. now, i wouldnt be able to just bore out a thick walled steel tube to make the trunnion and bolt, but still fairly simple to do, easier than an AR18 at least as no guide rods are necessary

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: October 06 2017 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote justin22885

backbencher wrote:
Heat transfer would be a concern in a PVC pipe receiver gun.  If you mount the front sight as close to the muzzle as possible, and the rear sight above the chamber, you might get less POI shift than you would otherwise.

If you fired magazine after magazine, the tube holding the bbl would eventually sag so much you'd start getting FTF.  If it cooled in that position, you'd need to rebuild the gun out of $7 of PVC pipe.

One might get longer life out of it by building it as a pistol, thus using a shorter and lighter bbl.

my response to this would be why not use carbon fiber? its stronger than even polymer, easier to work with injection moulding, more heat resistant than any of them (they wrap barrels with this).. i think for building guns using low-tech processes carbon fiber should be better utilized because its pretty easy to make a stainless steel trunnion and rails out of a piece of tubing, then use carbon fiber to close it all up and give it the shape it needs so the only metal working you need to do are just the high stress points

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: October 08 2017 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

In fact, for awhile, Bushmaster made a carbon fiber 9x19mm AR9, so that can work.

But for the home builder, PVC pipe is available everywhere, cheap, easy to work on, and cheaply replaceable if you make a mistake or overheat it.

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: October 08 2017 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote justin22885

steel tubing is just as available at any hardware store and isnt going to cause problems from heat

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: October 08 2017 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

True - but PVC is very easy to cut.  What's California going to do, do a NICS check on PVC pipe?  

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: October 08 2017 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote justin22885

hmm, i may consider casting.. i think when i set up a workshop im going to start experimenting with castings... maybe not steel, but there are a lot of parts that can be made of brass, aluminum, etc and if you had a 3D printer that could print wax that'd be perfect for packing into moulds

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: October 08 2017 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

I need to cast some plastic lowers now that I have the mold, but haven't gotten round to it yet.

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: October 09 2017 at 11:08pm | IP Logged Quote justin22885

hmm, i just got an idea from an old 9mm carbine, the way it works is it has a round telescoping bolt, i believe the tail end of the bolt is slightly smaller in diameter, and it gets inserts into the receiver from the front, theres presumably a ring inside the receiver because the spring goes into the front first, then the telescoping bolt goes in from the front, so the recoil spring is in front of the action.. once the bolt is in the barrel gets threaded and locked in

this got me thinking of that tube gun concept i was working on that has the VZ52 cylindrical oprod under the receiver tube, so it had me wondering if itd be possible to combine that feature with a telescoping bolt carrier that inserts into the rifle from the front, and the gas system can impinge on the front of that carrier

now, i never liked the idea of having to remove the barrel to remove the carrier, as itd be unlikely to return to zero with optics mounted to the top of the receiver, however, if the weapon it was used in was a bullpup, or had a cantilever rail on it it would solve that problem

something else that had me thinking is if this telescoping carrier is used, something like a stirling SMG fire control group could be used and act on the front of the carrier solving that whole problem with long, mushy, linked bullpup trigger systems

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: October 17 2017 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote justin22885

hmm, do you guys think it would be possible to modernize a wheellock or flintlock for survival and utilize ferro rods?  i wonder if you could have an arm on a flintlock to hold a ferro rod, and if thatd actually spark against a frizzen?.. a wheellock with a ferro rod should be quite possible too, no?  they seem like theyd last a heck of a lot longer than flints and be easier to replace too

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: October 17 2017 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Why not a piezoelectric mechanism as found in cheap propane & butane burning products?

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: October 17 2017 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote justin22885

piezos are very unreliable, how many times do you have to click those lighters or stoves to actually get them to fire?

hmm, i wonder if one of those fire pistons can ignite black powder?

<< Prev Topic Open Forum Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 46
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version