Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
4 members and 30 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 34

We have 4 member(s), 7 spiders, 30 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
curtisnm16, Hubby, curtisnm16, curtisnm16

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (58):

Practical Scrap Metal Small Arms
Weaponeer Forums : Blueprints and Drawings

Posted in Blueprints and Drawings
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Chainmail

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: July 22 2014 at 11:24pm | IP Logged Quote Chainmail

Volume 1 and 2 of "Practical Scrap Metal Small Arms".

Volume 1 is a DIY Sheet Metal Self-Loading Pistol. It is a bare-bones pistol design which is constructed from sheet steel and bar stock, the only power tools used to make it being a drill, angle grinder and a welder. The prototype was built as a blank firing only dummy model for the purposes of demonstration, though the design itself would translate perfectly well to .25 ACP and other small cartridges.

If this volume had more detailed instructions and had better templates it would be the "go to" text for a simple homemade semi auto pistol.

Volume 2 is a simple, MAC11 style submachine gun that is mostly assembled from pieces of steel box tube and bar stock telescoped together. The prototype was built as a non-firing display model with a dummy bolt and barrel for legal reasons, though it perfectly demonstrates how a compact commercial design can be constructed with little more than a drill, angle grinder and welder.

Both were found at http://www.thefirearmblog.com and were posted by Improguns (http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/author/improguns/).

5C358_The_DIY_Sheet_Metal_Self-Loading_Pistol_Practical_Scra p_Metal_Small_Arms.pdf

53B5B_The_Box_Tube_MAC-11_Practical_Scrap_Metal_Small_Arms_V ol.2.pdf
Agree x 2Artistic x 1Disagree x 1Funny x 7
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View Chainmail's Profile Search for other posts by Chainmail

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: July 23 2014 at 12:01am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Your English is quite good.  Thanks for the links.
Dumb x 1
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

wilhelm

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: July 23 2014 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote wilhelm

Great post, Chainmail.

I've always been interested in the theoretics behind simple firarms using off the shelf components or materials.

You posted some really good stuff recently.

Long may it continue!

View wilhelm's Profile Search for other posts by wilhelm

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: July 23 2014 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

Nice work Chainmail, I do rather like the Mac10 clone, I often wondered how easy it would be to produce one from commercially available box section steel.
I think for 9mm the bolt weight would require increasing significantly, but I really like the simplicity of your design.

The pistol is interesting Germany produced several similar pistols towards the end of WWII using pressed sheet slides with inserts welded or bolted in place for civil defence guns when they no longer had the luxury of industrialised production facilities, thanks in part to Allied bombing raids destroying their manufacturing base.
I like the idea of using readily available mags, as given the likely scenario that would require homebuilt weapons the designs could be adapted to suit whatever magazines you were able to lay your hands on.
View UKBiker's Profile Search for other posts by UKBiker

Chainmail

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: July 24 2014 at 6:00am | IP Logged Quote Chainmail

Thank you all for the kind words with regards to what I have found! 

I have the same thoughts regarding the pistol. It is very similar to prototype weapons produced at the end of WWII by the Germans. If memory serves, they actually got some of those to work with 9mm luger. I recall seeing a video on such weapons on a site called "forgoten weapons". So the design can certainly be modified to fire much more powerful rounds.

If only someone would make the weapon and make available the blueprints.

Modifying a weapon design to suit a magazine is useful, but it is also useful to know how to make it from scratch. It is not easy, but for those who live in countries where even gun parts are next to impossible to obtain "off the books"...

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: July 24 2014 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

Forgotten Weapons is a very good site, their youtube channel is also useful.
I don't know if they would have blueprints of these volkes pitols or ot it may be worth dropping them an email to ask them.

The simplicity of the pistol designs and blowback action would easily allow for 9mm Kurz .380ACP cartidges as well as .32ACP which was a very popular European cartridge at the time.

I agree having the ability to manufacture everything yourself is extremely useful. Have a look at some of the barrel making threads on here, there is a very interesting one about using electrolysis EDM rifling which may be of interest to you.

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: July 24 2014 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

Have a look on the forgotten weapons youtube channel at the Mauser volkespistole 9mm luger blowback pistol using Walther P38 magazines, and constructed in a similar manner using sheet steel and welded inserts

Also have a look at their video of the Jager pistol

Chainmail

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: July 26 2014 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote Chainmail

I tried emailing Forgotten Weapons...but the email bounced...Odd...

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: July 26 2014 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

Try dropping them a message via their youtube channel or possibly through their website which is quite a useful place. I've been thinking more and more about the advantages of using sheet steel and an insert for the breech block, it has certain advantages in terms of construction, having them cut out on a waterjet or laser cutter would speed the process up somewhat although in the interests of anonymity it's not such a hot idea unless the parts can be disguised as something else.

Chainmail

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: July 27 2014 at 5:20am | IP Logged Quote Chainmail

I will do that UKBiker.

The sheet metal concept for a handgun has a lot of potential. I have high hopes for this kind of weapon in the future. Any developments in this field would interest me greatly.

EDIT:

After some further research I found that the scrap metal pistol works with the (ME) Bruni 8 Police magazine, and the construction of the pistol is basically the same, but without the safety. Below is a photo of the pistol that the scrap metal pistol was based on.

OldCoot

1LT
1LT

Posted: July 27 2014 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote OldCoot

Any technology that lets defense be put in the hands of those who won't otherwise be able to do so is a good thing.  Thanks for posting those, Chainmail.
Funny x 1
View OldCoot's Profile Search for other posts by OldCoot

spindel1

Private
Private

Posted: July 30 2014 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote spindel1

Interesting desings indeed!

Being little bit conserned about bolt weight, would appreciate if some friendly MAC 11 owner would measure and post bolt weight of real thing.
View spindel1's Profile Search for other posts by spindel1

Zuzzy

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: July 30 2014 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote Zuzzy

These 8mm blank pistols pocket sized are practicaly all the same in their internals, very simple and few parts,
they only differ in outer looks, and sometimes in magazine capacity +/- 1 or 2 rounds or so.
View Zuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Zuzzy

duc748

E-3
E-3

Posted: July 31 2014 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote duc748

Chainmail: thanks for the pdf files
View duc748's Profile Search for other posts by duc748

Chainmail

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: August 13 2014 at 5:03am | IP Logged Quote Chainmail

New volume in the scrap metal series. This time, a simplified STEN gun style weapon.

The most interesting part of this weapon design is the way the bolt is made. Typically a lathe or miling machine would be used, but this deisgn uses a bolt made by using a combination of drilling and slitting, and  using a cheap angle grinder to remove the unneeded material.

9FFC4_The_DIY_STEN_Gun_Practical_Scrap_Metal_Small_Arms_Vol. 3.pdf

wilhelm

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: August 13 2014 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote wilhelm

Chainmail, these are fantastic posts.

Thank you very much.

It's always extremely interesting and useful to have expedient or easily constructed plans available to study.

I hope there's more at some stage...

View wilhelm's Profile Search for other posts by wilhelm

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: August 13 2014 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

Nice one Chainmail, keep 'em coming, these are nice plans that pretty much anyone can follow with the most basic of tools, giving everyone the option of arming themselves should the situation demand, which essentially is exactly what the likes of Bill Holmes and Phil Luty were trying to achieve.
All I need now are the plans to build an Apache attack helicopter from milk bottle tops and old boot laces and a Puch Maxi engine and I'll be sorted

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: August 13 2014 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Will Legos do, Biker?  
Disagree x 2

Chainmail

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: August 15 2014 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote Chainmail

UKBiker wrote:
these are nice plans that pretty much anyone can follow with the most basic of tools, giving everyone the option of arming themselves should the situation demand, which essentially is exactly what the likes of Bill Holmes and Phil Luty were trying to achieve.

I agree. Bill Holme's books are less useful for those who find themselves in an "I need a gun now" situation as his plans require the use of a fully equiped machinists workshop. This is not something that everyone has, or has access to, or the expertise to use. On the other hand it does allow for consistant quality in the weapons made and for parts to be interchangable to a degree.

PA Luty's designs are much better if you need a weapon in a hurry. But it sacrifices quality for simplicity and ease of manufacture.

I am glad eveyone is enjoying the plans so far.
Funny x 1

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: August 15 2014 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

My designs require a fully equipped 11 year old.  

<< Prev Topic Blueprints and Drawings Next Topic >>

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version