Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 27 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Walther Handguns

Taurus Handguns

Springfield Armory Handguns

Smith & Wesson Handguns

Sig Sauer Handguns

Ruger Revolvers

Kel Tec Handguns

Ruger Handguns

Glock Handguns

FN Handguns

CZ Handguns

EAA Corp

Semi-Automatic Rifles

Saiga Shotgun

Ammunition

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 28

We have 1 member(s), 7 spiders, 27 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
justin22885

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (41):

Suomi 16" barrel- FULLY RIFLED
Weaponeer Forums : M31 Suomi Build

Posted in M31 Suomi Build
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  molon labe

SSG
SSG

Posted: April 23 2012 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote molon labe

Hi,

I have now built 2 suomi's of my own and have successfully made new barrels from blanks. they are rifled the full 16.5 inches. i thought this to be a much better solution than the fake extension and more accurate. I make my barrels from Green Mountain blanks and was wondering  if  anyone here would be interested in a new barrel for their project??? I reproduce the retaining ring, locating notch, ejector slot, and chamber it. I think i will leave grinding the feed ramp to the end user as their may be variation from build to build. Let me know if there is any interest.   Thanks.

P.S.- I am curently trying to build a reproduction barrel for SG43s, but i am still early in the developement stages, as there are a number of complications.

Funny x 1
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View molon labe's Profile Search for other posts by molon labe Visit molon labe's Homepage

zoom6zoom

SM
SM

Posted: April 28 2012 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote zoom6zoom

Interest would in part be based on cost. I might need one for a 2XTM build. 
Agree x 1
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View zoom6zoom's Profile Search for other posts by zoom6zoom

molon labe

SSG
SSG

Posted: April 29 2012 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote molon labe

Im projecting a cost of $125.oo(+ s/h) per barrel. Possibly offering a 25.oo credit for receipt of an original barrel for those who have one and dont have any other use for it. 

Agree x 1Funny x 1
View molon labe's Profile Search for other posts by molon labe Visit molon labe's Homepage

buck450sl

Private
Private

Posted: May 01 2012 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote buck450sl

I'll keep you in mind , i'm about to attempt to build a Suomi M - 31 from a kit from Centerfire system's,and looking into the reciever welding jig's and reduced I.D. 80% reciever kit's with lower siderail's from Hellbox Armory,& Coldsteel Solutions Incorporated anybody have any tip's on building these the easiest way etc....   
Agree x 1Funny x 1
View buck450sl's Profile Search for other posts by buck450sl

molon labe

SSG
SSG

Posted: May 02 2012 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote molon labe

if you need to buy an 80% reciever to complete your project your best bet is to just get the complete kit from TNW Firearms. it has everything you need including the 80% reciever, FCG, and semi modified bolt. it comes with an original barrel w/ a non-rifled extension you need to weld on and turn back down, or i can set you up with a new fully rifled barrel. The TNW kit goes for about 300.00 plus shipping direct from them. The cost of buying a mil-surp parts kit, 80% reciever,FCG parts, and bolt mods will far exceed that price. The only way to do it cheaper is if you have the equipment to make most of what u need. I did my first m-31 from a TNW kit to see what was involved, and then made my own reciever and mod bolt for the second. I have also since made some one-off carbines based on the Suomi. Moral of the story.... unless you are a well equiped and accomplished machinist... buy a TNW kit or youi'll be spend 2-300 more hodge podging parts.
Agree x 3

gunzip

Private
Private

Posted: August 02 2012 at 6:11am | IP Logged Quote gunzip

2x on what Molon said. I figured the Suomi would be pretty simple to put together a striker version and for $70 for the kit it would be pretty really economic. Well, after I snapped a couple bits and end mills in those hard bolts the price started rising getting replacements to dig them out and then all the real time that went in reworking it all was a lot more more also.

The TWN kit at $300 is a steal if you want to build one unless you have a mill, lathe and the proper tooling already and a heat treatment setup for both  tempering the material being worked and hardening the parts you make. Even if you have the equipment if you are only building one go with the TWN unless you enjoy the challenge of figuring it all out because the first one can take a while working out all the bugs in the process. Once you've done the first one it is quite a bit smoother sailing from there. Despite what same my claim you can accomplish with a dremel this is not the type of project for it if you're looking for good results without turning it into a 24/7 job.

I turned a reweld jig from aluminum and have built from both the vertical and horizontal cut kits. On the horizontal kits instead of turning a whole new receiver and redoing the side plates I fashioned a repair section for the upper portions (2 pieces, one for the thicker part above the mag well and one for the main tube body). I then cut them in a half and face them off and have many repair sections from one process which makes it very easy and considerably cleaner looking since it has a single seem on each side and where they are joined.

On the vertical cuts if you tig weld those can be very easy to repair with a jig also. I mig so there is some overhead in cleaning up the welds.

In the end, if you have the ability to turn repair sections or not would really dictate if a horizontal cut kit is even an option for those not buying a replacement receiver. If you can't then vertical would be the way to go using a jig or the bolt with copper fitted around the bolt body (between the two ends which have larger diameters) to back the welds and protect the bolt.

It all really depends on the kit too. I've had horizontal kits that had way more material missing than normal and I've had verticals with filler and other crucial areas toasted really bad.

What I'm getting at is if you're not equipped and you are not planning on building it from scratch from just the kit alone then do what Molon said and get the TWN. Otherwise you'll spend almost as much to get the TWN package as you would on a replacement receiver and the bare kit and still have a lot of machine work to do on the bolt.
View gunzip's Profile Search for other posts by gunzip

Mech warrior

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: August 02 2012 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote Mech warrior

If you guy get ahold of tommerr, he can do your bolt mods for cheep! He is "the man!"

He has the proper tooling and knowledge as well as custom jigs for doing the mods!!!! Look him up in the member directory and send him an email!!!!

Let me send out the bat signal!

TOMMERR, YOU OUT THERE!!!!!
Agree x 1

Measure, think about it, measure again, think about it some more, measure again, then cut......."Oh S***!!!!"

"Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened." Billy Gram

"If my calculations are correct......when this baby hits 88mph, your gonna see some serious sh*t!"
View Mech warrior's Profile Search for other posts by Mech warrior

midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: August 02 2012 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

Tommerr..... tommerr..... tommerr.... everybody chant!

I think we need pics of his jig.... and the barrels in question!

View midmichigun's Profile Search for other posts by midmichigun

dr_aftomat

Private
Private

Posted: November 08 2012 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote dr_aftomat

Does anyone know how to contact molon lobe?  I need to talk to him about getting some barrels.  If anyone is interested I almost have a builder kit for the AK/Suomi gun, it includes a new front trunnion or modified one, a new magwell system that fixes the feed issues.  We will soon be offering full kits or individual parts for people trying this build.  We have all the 3d modling done and parts being machined now.  Website isnt up yet but you can email me directly for information. 

Josh

Partisan Research and Development

dr_aftomat@hotmail.com

View dr_aftomat's Profile Search for other posts by dr_aftomat

tweave2

Private
Private

Posted: November 20 2012 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote tweave2

I'd like to see some pics .
View tweave2's Profile Search for other posts by tweave2

Der Stürmer

Private
Private

Posted: June 28 2013 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote Der Stürmer

By any chance are these barrels still available?
View Der Stürmer's Profile Search for other posts by Der Stürmer

molon labe

SSG
SSG

Posted: October 10 2013 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote molon labe

yes. sorry havent checked this thread in a while. wish you had PM'd me.

<< Prev Topic M31 Suomi Build Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version