Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
2 members and 24 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users

Vz58 Modernization Project
Weaponeer Forums : Product Reviews

Posted in Product Reviews
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 01 2010 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

The Vz58 rifle is a nice weapon and more ergonomic then the AK, but it's still 1950's technology, and why not Modernize it and add to it's performance.

All the parts for the Vz58 Modernization Project came from www.zahal.org, and they have a lot of aftermarket parts for the AR, AK, and Vz58 and more.

the stock I had in place was the folding stock, and the folding stock is nice but a normal stock is more comfortable, but the original Vz stock is short

Note: The purpose of the short stock on the AK and Vz58 is on purpose. if the stock was long and perfect for summer time shooting, then in the winter your stock does not fit, and has too long a length of pull.

I replace the stock with a new stock adapter which is recoil absorbing with a spring in the receiver extension, and it allows you to fit any AR stock. now this stock was part of a furniture set, so I received a really nice AR adjustable stock, so now I can have any length of pull I want.

The Pistol grip again is of the AR style and is very comfortable in the hand, and provides a good non-slip surface.

Moving up to the forearm, lets start with the bottom one.  The bottom forearms is again well made, and it has a rail on the bottom like most modern rifles. It also has cooling vents to help keep the rifle cooler (which it didn't have before), and like all Vz58's you had to use a punch to drive the pin out to replace the lower forearm. the lower forearm looks great and it's comfortable.

The upper forearm piston cover is the hardest one to replace.  The Vz58 is much like the AK, in that the upper wood is twisted off just like the AK, but mine had two taps than needed to be bent in and out of the way for removal.  installing the new one just took a quick twist. now I don't have much for any real remaining grip, so if I say it was easy to install it was really easy.

The upper receiver also has the vent holes for added cooling which is a really good idea for a piston rifle as well as 2 added rails for a total of 4 rails if you wish.  the top rail has a "V" cut down the center so you can see the factory sights without any problem at all.

One last item was added as part of the Vz58 Modernization Project, and that was the forward grip.  the forward grip looks fairly wide, but it's actually very comfortable, and with the press of two buttons the grip converts from a grip to a very sturdy and well made adjustable bipod. The body is the same nearly indestructible polymer, but the bipod legs are aircraft aluminum and VERY sturdy, and able to support you weight if you stand on them (more bipods would fail this test)., the bipod really is a great piece of engineering, and allows the legs to fold back up into a standard forward grip.

The parts I received were in perfect condition as they always are when I receive something from www.Zahal.org so I have no problems ordering from them again.

The FAB manufactured parts were great, and far more durable than the original pressed wood parts, and the fit and feel is much better as well.  it looks and feels like a brand new rifle.

For the purist out there it's not all original, but not only am I a collector, but I'm a shooter (I have no safe queens) and the rifle looks like it does for a reason.  I have another Vz58 parts kit I can build as original if needed, but until then I'm going to enjoy this all new rifle as well as all the improvements.

overall I'm very impressed with the Vz58 Modernization Project and the result.  I'm sure anyone who builds a rifle like this will not be disappointed.

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 01 2010 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 01 2010 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

VZ58 Photos

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 01 2010 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Vz58 photos

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 01 2010 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

vz58 rifle photos

Funny x 1

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 01 2010 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

more vz58 rifle photos

Agree x 1

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 03 2010 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I'll be taking this to the range soon to get a really good feel for the new rifle.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 03 2010 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Back from the range with the new Vz58, and I'm impressed.  The recoil damping stock REALLY works. I would like to change the damping spring to a little softer spring to change the rate of compression as well as the length of compression, but I have to admit it works very well right out of the box.

At first I tried the rifle with the stock on the shortest setting (which gives you full recoil) and it felt like I was shooting an AK, then I set the adjustable stock out farther and allowed the stock to compress when fired, and it really shoots smooth with that stock.

I also really liked the Bipod grip..  that was so easy to use, and very stable.

The forearm was comfortable to use (better than the AK's), and the upper piston cover worked very well, and ran  the rifle cooler than ever before.

overall a very nice setup and very much worth buying.

www.Zahal.org was right on all counts.  it really does work like they say it does.

tommerr

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: October 03 2010 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote tommerr

I am curious about a semi receiver. The subject must have passed over my head. Where, what and how are of things that interest me.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 04 2010 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

The rifles and the receivers are imported by Czech Point.

The Parts Kits have been around for years.  it's a great shooting rifle

Parabellum

Private
Private

Posted: October 24 2010 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote Parabellum

I know that has a totaly different mechanism vs AK/M, and I know that due to milled rec and closer tolerance + more attention to detail is in general more acurate vs AKM - the main limitating factor beeing the cartridge. But my question is do you have any idea how it stands up to use and abuse, frozen and grit ?
View Parabellum's Profile Search for other posts by Parabellum

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 24 2010 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Parabellum wrote:
I know that has a totaly different mechanism vs AK/M, and I know that due to milled rec and closer tolerance + more attention to detail is in general more acurate vs AKM - the main limitating factor beeing the cartridge. But my question is do you have any idea how it stands up to use and abuse, frozen and grit ?

Frankly I would trust the VZ58 far more than the AKM.  The AKM just has too many design defects and it's not near as reliable as the propaganda would lead you to believe.

The biggest issue is dust and sand and in that environment the AKM fails.  The VZ58 uses a dust cover and does not have the major sand and dust issues like the AKM.  the funny thing is the AR15 performs very well in sand, dirt and even dust (yet the propaganda states otherwise).

A Hobbyist

E-2
E-2

Posted: March 29 2011 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote A Hobbyist

Has anyone done any modification to make the VZ accept AK magazines?
View A Hobbyist's Profile Search for other posts by A Hobbyist

A Hobbyist

E-2
E-2

Posted: May 13 2011 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote A Hobbyist

If so, were you able to keep the bolt hold open in operation?
View A Hobbyist's Profile Search for other posts by A Hobbyist

sct1886

Private
Private

Posted: June 02 2012 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote sct1886

My want is a better trigger.
View sct1886's Profile Search for other posts by sct1886

<< Prev Topic Product Reviews Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version