Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
4 members and 27 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Review of the CRT-15 AR cleaning Tool
Weaponeer Forums : Product Reviews

Posted in Product Reviews
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 26 2010 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Recently I had a chance to test an AR15/M16 Carbon Cleaning Tool called the CRT-15 made by Magna-Matic Corporation. Now I’m pretty old school for cleaning tools for my AR’s using pretty much the same cleaning kit I used in the Army.  It worked then, and my weapons were spotless, and when I say my weapons I’m talking 300 M16’s in my Unit that I took care of.  I had some tips and tricks on cleaning, because just like everyone else I didn’t enjoy cleaning them as much as I enjoyed shooting them.

The AR15/M16 rifle is a pretty easy rifle to take care of, and despite all the propaganda it’s not very sensitive to dirt and dust. They make it sound like you get a little dirt on the rifle and it jams, and that is just not the case. A true rifleman takes care of his weapon, and US soldiers are all riflemen. They qualify not in full-auto but in semi-auto and learn to make each shot count. (Granted some are better than others), but in the US we use RIFLES as a tradition.

Now as you know the AR15/M16 is gas operated using the direct impingement system, but what you may not know is the direct impingement system was first used in a production rifle 70 years ago in the MAS 40 Rifle (and that was not the first rifle it was used in either, just the first production rifle). So it’s been used on battle rifles by the French, the Swedish, and the US has been using it for the last 47 years without any problems.

Now unlike conventional gas-operated firearms, direct impingement does away with a separate gas cylinder, piston, and operating rod assembly, and high-pressure gas acts directly upon the bolt and carrier thereby saving weight, lowering costs, and reducing the mass of the operating parts.

Lower mass is not only good for making the rifle lighter, it also provides a high rate of fire. The main benefit to the design is the potential for a full float barrel, and you don’t have the gas piston attached to the barrel and messing up the barrels harmonics.

The bad side of this is all the heat is sent back into the bolt carrier, and leaving well baked on carbon deposits on the bolt and carrier.  It can be removed but it’s a lot of work, and normally involves using the bore brush on the bolt and carrier to remove all that carbon later on.

In the past that took a while, and generally sucked because there was no quick and easy way to remove it.  That is until I tested the CRT-15 last night, and just to see how it worked I pulled a bolt carrier assembly from one of my rifles to get the feel for the tool. And I placed the tool into the bolt tail and gave it a quick turn and I could not believe it but baked on carbon was falling off my bolt, and that bolt looked perfectly clean.  I was shocked that the tool cleaned the bolt tail radius in just a few seconds and did a better job than I did the old school way.

Actually this tool made the job cleaning that part of the bolt FUN (gasp). Once the bolt has been cleaned of all the carbon, you can turn the tool around and insert it into the bolt carrier and clean the area where the bolt sits, and within a couple seconds, that was cleaned as well.  Now it does not clean the whole bolt carrier assembly for you, but it takes the two hardest parts and not only makes cleaning them quickly, but it makes sure they are cleaned correctly.

Now this tool will clean nearly any type of AR15 bolt carrier assembly. I used it on 5.56mm as well as 6.5mm Grendel with ease.  The tool is very well made and you can purchase it direct from the manufacture http://www.magna-matic.com/crt/product_line/crt-15.html  right now for $39.99

This is what the company says about it:

Never before has the soldier, enthusiast, gunsmith, or armorer had access to a single tool that can remove the carbon from both the bolt tail and bolt carrier with such ease and precision. New for 2009, the CRT-15 (Carbon Removal Tool for AR-15, M-16, and M-4 type bolts and bolt carriers) will be available in March of 2009.

This revolutionary tool eclipses the function of the “scraper style” tools currently in the industry by not only improving on their ability to remove carbon buildup in the bolt carrier, but surpassing them by adding the feature of quickly and accurately removing carbon buildup from the tail of the bolt. No longer must the soldier, enthusiast, gunsmith, or armorer toil with solvent and a wire brush to adequately clean the tail of the bolt.
Some other "scraper-type" tools have been made in the past but all have been flat tools that cannot properly clean the bolt carrier and bolt. The CRT-15 properly keeps itself centered in the bolt carrier, and the lathe-style bolt tail cleaning end can match any of the MANY different bolt tail radii dimensions.

The CRT-15 is the must have cleaning tool that should be in every cleaning kit of an AR-15, M-16, and M-4 owner/operator.

Features:

• Reamer-style end removes carbon from bolt carrier of the M-16 family
• Lathe-style end removes carbon from the bolt tail of the M-16 family
• Clean ANY RADIUS bolt tail, bolt tail dimensions vary, only the CRT-15 can adapt to all types.
• Proper carbon removal ensures proper bolt operation
• Easily fits in field cleaning kits
• Lightweight compact design fits in pocket
• All steel precision manufactured
• Hardened for long lasting quality
• 100% corrosion resistant for severe outdoor conditions
• 100% Made in the USA
Benefits:
• Easy to use
• Ensures proper bolt operation
• Save time with a tool specifically designed to remove carbon from problem areas of M-16 family bolts and bolt carriers
• Compact, lightweight, and field ready
• Fewer tools to carry/transport

The tool is very well made, but you can even buy replacement parts for the tool (I guess you could accidentally run it over with a tank) and best of all it’s MADE IN THE USA.

So how does Weaponeer rate this tool?  I think this tool is essential to everyone that owns an AR15, and it you are a soldier this tool is a MUST HAVE ITEM. Your rifle deserves a good cleaning (your life may depend on it) and this tool is just right for the job and still should fit the standard M16 cleaning kit case.

I personally highly recommend this tool!

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

roosterkadath

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: May 26 2010 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote roosterkadath

That is win.

I thought it was going to be something retardedly complicated, but it looks like it was meant to be put in a pocket or a small pouch.

Not bad, especially with father's day coming up.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View roosterkadath's Profile Search for other posts by roosterkadath

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 26 2010 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 26 2010 at 11:25pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 27 2010 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

roosterkadath wrote:
That is win.

I thought it was going to be something retardedly complicated, but it looks like it was meant to be put in a pocket or a small pouch.

Not bad, especially with father's day coming up.

actually thats a good idea.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 27 2010 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I have another Magna-Matic Corporation tool that I'll be posting a review on.  this one is an AK front sight adjustment tool.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 29 2010 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I tested this tool again...  man I love it...

blurrededge

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: June 16 2010 at 12:22am | IP Logged Quote blurrededge

Just ordered one. I'll try to remember to take some before and after pics when using it to clean and post them here, or maybe video the girl doing it like the Sten

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: June 16 2010 at 12:24am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I'm also working with a tool called the C.A.T. M-4 for cleaning the carrier.

blurrededge

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: June 16 2010 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote blurrededge

If it works, I'll get one of Those too... and then get stuck with which ever one my g/f doesn't pick

<< Prev Topic Product Reviews Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version