Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 39 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 40

We have 1 member(s), 7 spiders, 39 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
blackbikesteve

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (65):

Modular Weapons System - for homebuilders
Weaponeer Forums : Open Forum

Posted in Open Forum
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: September 06 2013 at 4:19am | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

What I'm trying to think is having a dual recoil spring assembly on my own belt-fed gun so that once the bolt carrier is nearing its last 1.5" to 2" of bolt carrier stroke, a second spring connects and begins to slow down the rearward bolt carrier motion faster!

The more efficiently you can transfer that excess cycling impulse energy into SPRINGS, the less 'Felt Recoil' you will experience through transferring it into your shoulder!

Rather than using dual springs why not use a progressively wound spring, similar to those that are used in motorcycle forks.
As the spring compresses the closer wound coils compress and touch becoming coil bound, and shortening the length of the spring which increases the spring rate.
The closer wound coils would need to be placed towards the front to allow them to start compressing first as the bolt cycles, but that would give you the same effect as dual springs but in a simpler package.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View UKBiker's Profile Search for other posts by UKBiker

janus714

Private
Private

Posted: October 25 2013 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote janus714

How about FN lower mg 42 top and feed tray and a bren gun bolt and carrier for the gas system and convert the barrels to 7.62/51 only problem the bren bolt locks up to the top of the receiver well food for thought anyway
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View janus714's Profile Search for other posts by janus714

MatthewT

Private
Private

Posted: January 02 2014 at 10:37pm | IP Logged Quote MatthewT

New here, but I've got a few ideas...what if we took some design cues from the IWI/IMI Negev?  it's both belt fed and magazine fed.  And what is everyone's opinion on things like .300 Blackout or .458 SOCOM for a rifle like this? I think that if we used some QD barrels that were fluted and hammer forged, that might help with the weight and heat issues because what I've read so far on the CHF process it essentially lasts longer under sustained fire and it keeps the overheating to a minimum, perhaps I'm wrong or have read some incorrect information though, any thoughts on this?
View MatthewT's Profile Search for other posts by MatthewT

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: January 03 2014 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

.300" Blackout and .458" SOCOM are both great cartridges but are difficult to find under normal circumstances. Belt links are in the same category. Any modular weapon system should use calibers and magazines that are widely available.
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

CC96

MSG
MSG

Posted: May 27 2015 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote CC96

Hey, what about a gas locked, open bolt, sprocket belt fed AND magazine fed for the russian calibers?
View CC96's Profile Search for other posts by CC96

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: May 27 2015 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

That would be great, but can't build open-bolt repeaters in the US since 1986.  

CC96

MSG
MSG

Posted: May 27 2015 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote CC96

You've told me about the Hughes Amendment. I personally think it was a REALLY dumb idea. Also, I personally hope that someone grows the balls to repeal that Amendment and allow for a truly competitive machine gun market. Though it can also be able to be made as a closed-bolt full auto modular weapon system.
Agree x 2

TakeTwocircle11

Private
Private

Posted: October 18 2015 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote TakeTwocircle11

It is, but the triggers become slightly more complicated. Sears that interact with the bolt are required, and in the end it's really not something I think most of us are willing to go to prison for (or even risk doing)

Still though, an FAL lower can be made to take a few different types of triggers with very little modification (just a few extra holes in the right places) in theory, this being modular and all, it would be nice to be able to take FAL triggers, AR triggers, and AK triggers all in the same lower.
Now, that said, what is keeping us from going a step further and making it all of what the stoner 86 was, but also with the ability to be a semi auto shotgun as well?
If we're swapping uppers and barrels at the drop of a hat, and those uppers include the mag well and bolt, it would be beneficial to be able to use it for as many things as possible.

What about utilizing a QD system that allows you to swap uppers with only two pins akin to those holding on the stock of G3 series rifles?
View TakeTwocircle11's Profile Search for other posts by TakeTwocircle11

zicklon

Private
Private

Posted: December 24 2015 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote zicklon

Hi,

I've just seen what could be an interesting urban combat modular weapon.

Take a look at the link here
View zicklon's Profile Search for other posts by zicklon

CC96

MSG
MSG

Posted: January 07 2016 at 4:55am | IP Logged Quote CC96

OH what about a Modular weapon form of the WW2 German Machine Guns? Just a thought.

Artorius

Private
Private

Posted: March 11 2016 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote Artorius

I am new here so hi everyone. I found this thread due to searching for just exactly what you guys are talking about.
Not sure if I should post here or in a new post, but here goes.

I have been working on such a design for a while now. I realized that the AR platform was limited and I was not happy with those limitations. One being that the lower is milled. And even the most creative have found that you can't really get around that with the design the way it is. The grip position and the fixed magwell position all limit the design.
So I set out to design a new weapon platform that used a 3 part receiver to allow almost unlimited adaptability and customization. (I see you guys already want to do that anyway.)

Following is my own notes on the project:

The intent of this proposal is to lay out a list of requirements and goals for the design of a new firearm platform that will compete with the venerable AR-15 platform. The concept for this came from the idea that the AR-15 is highly customizable but lacks a few significant capabilities of adaptability.

The platform being proposed will be code-named “Charlie”. (The letter C representing customization) or “CWS” (Custom Weapons System)
The AR-15 platform has a distinct outline that cannot be changed by any significant amount due to certain features of it's design. (a shadow outline of any AR-15 still looks like an AR-15) Therefore, the Charlie system should consider those limitations and attempt to work the design into a manner which can be customized into significantly different outlines to suit personal tastes as well as allow users to own and use the weapon in areas that limit by law weapons which have the AR-15 outline or certain “military” features.
Charlie should be able to be used with a traditional one-piece wooden stock or a two piece wooden stock or with AR style grips and furniture. In order for Charlie to be able to have this wide variety of stock options, the trigger mechanism needs to be nearly at the rear of the receiver. Great examples are the Ruger 10/22 and Mini-14 as well as the 870 shotgun. All can be configured as either traditional or with tactical stocks.
Charlie should incorporate provision for various systems of operation. This would include but not be limited to: Direct gas impingement, over-barrel gas piston, under-barrel gas piston, barrel shrouding gas piston, recoil operation, manual operation, gas delayed blowback, etc. This requires that the upper receiver be designed to allow vast modification.
Charlie should be able to utilize different bolt types and configurations. With various forms of locking systems.
Charlie should be able to except standard AR components as much as is practical. Most specifically barrels, bolts and magazines.
Charlie should be designed from the onset to except standard NATO 5.56x45mm magazines and ammunition. As well as standard AK type 7.62x39mm magazines and ammunition. More types of ammunition and common magazines would follow.
To allow maximum variability of use, the magazine well will be a separate part from the main lower receiver. This will enable Charlie to be set up to use anything from .22lr 10/22 magazines, to .50 caliber BMG. The receiver will be a 3 part design; upper, lower & magwell. The lower receiver should be designed in such a manner as to make the firearm completely dependent on the lower receiver as to ensure no legal issues with the lower being the firearm. This would also allow for the use of different kinds of magazines. Straight, curved, deep well, shallow well, straight insert, rock-in, rotary, spiral, tubular, belt feed, top feed, side feed, etc. To do this the magwell will attach to the lower and the upper will then attach to both. (even though the magwell would be matched to the upper.) So side feed, top feed and belt feed would have a support block in place of the magwell.
Design should avoid using complex milled parts as much as possible. Charlie's design should be such that it can be stamped, milled, formed, cast or bolted; or as many other methods of production as possible.
Charlie needs to be; at least in its basic form, extremely reliable. Using simpler design elements than the AR-15 platform. (See the AR-180) It will be somewhat based on and inspired by the AR-180, Winchester Model 1910, Mannlicher 1901 & Johnson LMG.
Charlie should be produced in its most basic form as an AR & AK competitor.
Charlie's 3-part receiver will be the main design element and this will allow the rest of the market to produce additional parts. Mostly because existing AR parts and accessories will work already.
Due to customizability, Charlie should be able to have right, left, top or bottom eject simply be changing the bolt and upper.
Charlie should be able to be disassembled and reassembled without tools.
Charlie needs to be fully ambidextrous.

Primary points of interest are simplified as follows:

Three piece receiver to enable the system to be adapted and built for a vast range of calibers and magazine styles or types.
Three piece receiver also allows for using many forms or action operation. (Direct impingement, delayed blowback, gas piston, etc.)
Weapon is designed to utilize existing AR type stocks and accessories. (grips, stocks, etc.) As well as traditional styled wood or poly stocks.
Fully Ambidextrous.
Fully maintain without need for tools.(excepting for cleaning rods...which could be stored in the front or rear stock)
Low cost construction adaptable to multiple manufacturing methods.
Three basic sizes of upper using the same lower receiver allows for full power rifle cartridges, intermediate power carbine cartridges or even handgun cartridges by utilizing different length upper receivers allows for large bore rifles as well as pistol and SBR versions.
No dampener sticking out the back.(but an interchangeable rear block would allow a dampener to be used if the user desired it.)

Plan needs to start somewhere, first model rifle will have following features.

Be available chambered for 5.56x45mm and 7.62x39mm.
Be set up with right side eject. But should be reversible.
Be offered in both AR style furniture and classic wood furniture.
The receiver to be made of stamped or formed parts.
Under-barrel gas piston with recoil/return spring in piston sleeve. (the only spring behind the bolt should be a short bump spring.)
Dual rail system for bolt as per an AR-180.
Roller locked bolt, rotating bolt or tilting plate locked bolt. (whichever is easier to make)
Built in telescoping dust cover that slides with bolt.

Ideas for consideration.

Upper receiver should slide onto the lower receiver rather than the pivoting system used for ARs. One or more spring loaded holding pins will hold things together. Take down should be fast, easy and require no tools at all. But when assembled it needs to be solid and secure. Take down can use spring-pins where you push the pin or a lever to take down. But assembly should be just plug together and it automatically snaps back in place. If necessary, use rubber wedges or springs to apply pressure holding things together.
Magazine well should also attach to the lower receiver.
Quick change barrel.
Charging handle to be ambidextrous. Either on the bolt directly, or on gas piston arms as on an M-14.
Bolt needs to be as simple as possible. Roller locked, rotating bolt or tilting-plate locked. (tilting plate is potentially simpler. And stronger.)
Hammer or striker? That is the question. I prefer hammer if possible.
M-14 style trigger blocking safety.
Magwell will have magazine release. Thus allowing for the magwell to be designed for the magazine and not limit that part.
Prototype can be made of a combination of flat plate steel and milled parts. But final design should be able to be made as much out of flat sheet or plate steel as possible. Or at least stamped.

I wrote that about two weeks ago just to get my thoughts down..
Since then I have worked out a large amount of the designs basic details but I have not yet gotten into drawing up plans yet.
I also am including some images that I made (very crude...I only spent about 5 minutes total making these).
I will try modeling something nicer and post some nice renderings.

View Artorius's Profile Search for other posts by Artorius

Artorius

Private
Private

Posted: March 12 2016 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote Artorius

View Artorius's Profile Search for other posts by Artorius

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: March 12 2016 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Artorius wrote:

Hicere

Private
Private

Posted: October 11 2016 at 12:14am | IP Logged Quote Hicere

Hi there, I am new in this forum.
View Hicere's Profile Search for other posts by Hicere

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: October 11 2016 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Welcome, Hicere.  Got any Legos?

<< Prev Topic Open Forum Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 8
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version