Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 36 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Modular Weapons System - for homebuilders
Weaponeer Forums : Open Forum

Posted in Open Forum
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Grunt Medic TXARNG

Private
Private

Posted: March 05 2011 at 4:04am | IP Logged Quote Grunt Medic TXARNG

MGI is now making a belt fed upper for their version of the AR.  However, they state it is not compatible withtheir current Hydra modular rifle, which is what I run as my SHTF weapon.  With 2 magwells and spare barrels and bolts, I'm set up to run .22, 5.56 and 7.62x39 using either AR or AK pattern magazines - and I'm looking to add 5.45x39 in the near future and 6.8 right after that.

The ARES belt fed upper is sadly just about vaporware - SOME have been produced, but folks have been on their waiting list for 5+ years now without getting their product.  That's OK though - other manufacturers have noticed the demand and will be producing them.

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View Grunt Medic TXARNG's Profile Search for other posts by Grunt Medic TXARNG

loveofchaos

E-3
E-3

Posted: March 05 2011 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote loveofchaos

So forgive me if I forgot something that has already been said (I read the whole post I swear!) but are we looking to design/prototype something that is a whole new gun, or just a receiver for an existing gun?
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View loveofchaos's Profile Search for other posts by loveofchaos

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 05 2011 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

loveofchaos wrote:
So forgive me if I forgot something that has already been said (I read the whole post I swear!) but are we looking to design/prototype something that is a whole new gun, or just a receiver for an existing gun?

It could be either...

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

soakandquench

SFC
SFC

Posted: March 16 2011 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote soakandquench

well if anyone has ever been to gunco and seen the plans for the MG47ES, then to me its a no brainer this is the way to go for a simple and inexpensive belt fed project. add the quick change barrel option like the stoner and it gets even better. perhaps even more interesting could be to slim it down and make it flippable like the stoner and add this feature to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ10pIda3jE

its a belt feed system that inserts into the magazine well and can be removed.

there is all kinds of potential for the modular system using this approach and possible combining it with the MG47 style simplicity of the reciever.
View soakandquench's Profile Search for other posts by soakandquench

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 17 2011 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Personally, I think the AK has too many design defects.  a couple years ago it would have been more interesting due to the cost of AK kits.

I think an RPD kit with a new receiver and QD barrel as well as the ability to take mags would be far more interesting because it's already setup as a belt fed (no hunting around for the proper top cover)
Agree x 1

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

DruidicRifleman

E-3
E-3

Posted: April 11 2011 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote DruidicRifleman

Currious as to the current consensious

I have to Say the FAL Presents an issue It's Currently banned where i live And getting caught with one or a varrent there of Carries a bigger charge then Murder almost here in canada (when you factor in a gang banger can plee bargin out of allot).

Though the M96 and stoner 63 Are concepts I really like.

View DruidicRifleman's Profile Search for other posts by DruidicRifleman

soakandquench

SFC
SFC

Posted: April 11 2011 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote soakandquench

well not only that, but the RPD is probably more readily convertible to accept mags in conjunction with a belt. the biggest issue i have with RPD style LMG's is they usually dont have a quick change barrel. if a trunnion can be designed to give an RPD the quick change barrel option, and the barrel were shorter, that's a start in the right direction. it would also be cool to see one with disintegrating links. possibly add the mechanism from a MG3 that is compatible with the German 7.62 disintegrating link? just a thought.

of course it would probably be better to be able to flip the receiver like the Stoner for the box magazine configuration. i think based off of the combination of the RPD and the Stoner is a very cool idea. means it would have a pretty affordable receiver, and would probably facilitate some of the more modular aspects.
View soakandquench's Profile Search for other posts by soakandquench

DruidicRifleman

E-3
E-3

Posted: April 14 2011 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote DruidicRifleman

Any Way This could be scaled Way Up to Be usable in theroy as a HMG with say 300WM or 338 LM belt fed???
View DruidicRifleman's Profile Search for other posts by DruidicRifleman

jcates592

Private
Private

Posted: May 04 2011 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote jcates592

Very Informative. Thank You

View jcates592's Profile Search for other posts by jcates592

roguetechie

Private
Private

Posted: May 20 2011 at 12:51am | IP Logged Quote roguetechie

I have very recently discovered the Johnson rifle which was apparently at the time meant to be modular with a barrel and magazine change.... IT has about the neatest barrel release I've ever seen and it's recoil operated system could work well too.... I am not sure about pistol calibers but a baby johnson rifle that fires 5.56, 6.5, 6.8, 5.45, and maybe even 7.62x39 could be about the bees knees....

I think using a progressive rate buffer at the end so you don't bottom out on 7.62 russian would make it great.... then maybe individual bolts for any that won't take standard 5.56 bolt faces....

And with the things it has in common with the AR it might even be possible to use some AR parts to make.

The biggest thing I like about the johnson is it would take the stronger 30 ought 6 loadings that the 1919 etc fired that garands would not fire this to me says it's an extremely versatile and promising system.

BUt it would be.... tricky to make it run on belts to say the least.
Agree x 1
View roguetechie's Profile Search for other posts by roguetechie

roguetechie

Private
Private

Posted: May 20 2011 at 12:53am | IP Logged Quote roguetechie

ALSO

I am looking for any info about the johnson rifle out there as far as an armorers guide or schematics that I could use to maybe build one or something like it.

Please if anyone has info send it my way

Thanks
View roguetechie's Profile Search for other posts by roguetechie

Karl_T

Cpl
Cpl

Posted: September 02 2011 at 6:27am | IP Logged Quote Karl_T

weaponeer wrote:

I think an RPD kit with a new receiver and QD barrel as well as the ability to take mags would be far more interesting because it's already setup as a belt fed (no hunting around for the proper top cover)

I just read this WHOLE thread. Very interesting. Any chance of the above concept becoming reality? I'd be in line to do it.

Karl

View Karl_T's Profile Search for other posts by Karl_T

owenaero

SSG
SSG

Posted: January 27 2012 at 12:54am | IP Logged Quote owenaero

ok i know this was started awile ago but i read where weaponeer you said about the gas system what about a regulater deal like the bren has the gas block using multi ported block that can be dialed is to what you need. my idea is that when you change the barrel like on the bren you have that tang that holdes it in place with a different barrel the size of each tang corrasopnds with the correct gass setting.

sounds abit complacated i know but just a thought what do others think of this idea.

or a plug tupe pin when installing when installing the barrel it plugs in like a needle valve sizes to proper setting and the gass block the size of the max to the largest round you can fire and choked with each barrel by the pin installed with the barrel??????

View owenaero's Profile Search for other posts by owenaero

owenaero

SSG
SSG

Posted: January 27 2012 at 1:12am | IP Logged Quote owenaero

i have another brain fart most likley thats all it is. lol.

what about a lower receiver with a cut out like the soumi now bear with me on this.

the souni you all know will take a clip or a drum thats 2 out of the three how about thinking about a system that can take a belt from the lower side of things and have a block that can clip in (a filler) of sorts allowing a clip or drum i know it sounds like a abomination but i think its possable the trick would keep the weight down and realistically your not going to cary a bunch of barrels with you wile on foot maybe - maybe not and the block for the belt might be able to be hidden the the stock like the cleaning kits? any thoughts on my ideas.

i would like to hear them thanks.

View owenaero's Profile Search for other posts by owenaero

RockAndRoll

E-3
E-3

Posted: October 25 2012 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote RockAndRoll

To me, the hard part is the belt-fed bit. "sharpsshooter5090"'s design still looks like a good starting point. If you ignore the AK parts, there's a lot of stuff in sharpsshooter5090's design that could be repurposed to an AR-style design.

It would make sense to use an existing belt-fed feed tray mechanism, which would dictate much of the resulting design.

I'm not familiar enough with any of the feed mechanisms to make any suggestions.
View RockAndRoll's Profile Search for other posts by RockAndRoll Visit RockAndRoll's Homepage

kb0331

Private
Private

Posted: January 14 2013 at 12:38am | IP Logged Quote kb0331

I have been skimming through and haven't seen anything but may have missed it. Has anyone considered the
HK21. I know the feed mechanism is a little pricey. However all the criteria is there. It is built with many of the common parts as a g3.

I think the biggest advantage is the availability of a registered flemming auto sear. What really makes a belt fed fun is getting to go full auto.

View kb0331's Profile Search for other posts by kb0331

akidynoken

Private
Private

Posted: January 24 2013 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote akidynoken

how does one go about getting started in this awesome hobby
View akidynoken's Profile Search for other posts by akidynoken

OldCoot

1LT
1LT

Posted: February 24 2013 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote OldCoot

weaponeer wrote:

my thinking (so far) is to use aluminum plates for the receiver.  aluminum works for the AR, it should work for a modular weapon system.

My thinking is a common rear trunion that would fit the FAL lower.

I would also like a common AR15 style front trunion (threaded for the AR barrel) with a hole for the gas piston.

Receiver at this point would be side and top, and bottom plates that would/could bolt to the trunions much like an AK build, but much thicker than the 1mm AK receiver.

waiting for other ideas before i can explorer the receiver ideas much further.

AR locks bolt head directly to barrel extension.  Due to that method of operation, the upper and lower could be built out of used chewing gum, and still function.  If your design is going to use the Stoner bolt and extension (and it's one of the good points of his design), aluminum will work fine.  IIRC (and I worked on one of these just a while back), there were aluminum FAL receivers available for a while.
View OldCoot's Profile Search for other posts by OldCoot

cardbard

Private
Private

Posted: July 15 2013 at 4:31am | IP Logged Quote cardbard

In my infinite lov for aks, I go this idea: use the normal magwell adapter, but use differant bolts. you could then do a quick change barrel system from A mg42. That way, put in mag, put in bolt switch barel, Android shoot. Autocorrect is bad.
View cardbard's Profile Search for other posts by cardbard

MatthewMachinist

Cpl
Cpl

Posted: August 23 2013 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote MatthewMachinist

New to this forum so I thought I would add my 2 cents.

I like the original idea of the Stoner 63, if I was scratch building one I would probably buy the barrel, adapt it for ar15 mags and make the stock and forend from wood. It would still be a very challenging build by the looks of the upper receiver - Jigs for Africa.

It truly is an awesome modular system, I like the photo on Wikipedia of a Navy Seal using one with a 150 round drum mag.

Perhaps we should start by emailing the old maker to see if they will just give us the blueprints for it -
http://www.textronmarineandland.com/

"Come on... its not like you have made it since the 60's"

Hey, what can I say.... I am an optimistic guy.
View MatthewMachinist's Profile Search for other posts by MatthewMachinist

<< Prev Topic Open Forum Next Topic >>

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version