Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 41 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 42

We have 1 member(s), 6 spiders, 41 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
PappaSunrise

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (65):

Modular Weapons System - for homebuilders
Weaponeer Forums : Open Forum

Posted in Open Forum
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: February 11 2010 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

any more member ideas?
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

blurrededge

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: February 11 2010 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote blurrededge

I've been thinking about investigating the possibility of using an RPD feed tray and cover in an upper for an AR, but I don't have an RPD kit yet.

It's been a while since I read this thread that I forgot all the ideas that were brought forth... I think a summary post is in order. Anybody want at it?
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: February 11 2010 at 10:30pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

blurrededge wrote:
I've been thinking about investigating the possibility of using an RPD feed tray and cover in an upper for an AR, but I don't have an RPD kit yet.

It's been a while since I read this thread that I forgot all the ideas that were brought forth... I think a summary post is in order. Anybody want at it?

And here I was going to volunteer you.... lol

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

blurrededge

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: February 11 2010 at 11:46pm | IP Logged Quote blurrededge

that's exactly why I included that last line

If I find time in the next week, I will try.

Wolfkin

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 12 2010 at 12:15am | IP Logged Quote Wolfkin

AK47 modular receiver that would quick change the front trunion with barrel

Make this a challenge build for the fastest changeout
View Wolfkin's Profile Search for other posts by Wolfkin

blurrededge

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: February 12 2010 at 12:24am | IP Logged Quote blurrededge

I don't know about that with a stamped receiver... it almost seems like you would need a trunnion to mount the trunnion in...

designed by the department of redundancy department

it IS something I thought about (started in This thread )

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: February 12 2010 at 12:32am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

It's possible to replace the barrel pin with a barrel lock, to make the barrel removable.

You could also do what has been done before... turn it into an UZI style of trunion with barrel nut. then drop you barrels in place and tighten the nut and you are done.

top one seems easier... If you can make the AR barrel interchangeable why not AK's

I think we even talked about an AK that took AR barrels and they droppe din place. easy supply of top quality barrels.

Wolfkin

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 12 2010 at 1:01am | IP Logged Quote Wolfkin

AK47 modular milled side plates that have hardened screw/pins that hold the trunion in place

easy build and low cost barrels
View Wolfkin's Profile Search for other posts by Wolfkin

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: February 19 2010 at 11:44pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

any other ideas from people?

Inabadhood

2LT
2LT

Posted: February 20 2010 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote Inabadhood

Not really an IDEA, but a thought, hoping to get opinions from others here...

In the event that you create a belt-fed weapon with a quick change barrel, would you want the QC barrel assembly to also remove the Gas Tube WITH the barrel, or would you prefer that the gas tube remains with the Receiver?

Thoughs on WHY?
View Inabadhood's Profile Search for other posts by Inabadhood

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: February 20 2010 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Inabadhood wrote:
Not really an IDEA, but a thought, hoping to get opinions from others here...

In the event that you create a belt-fed weapon with a quick change barrel, would you want the QC barrel assembly to also remove the Gas Tube WITH the barrel, or would you prefer that the gas tube remains with the Receiver?

Thoughs on WHY?

Stay with the barrel...

By reasoning behind this is due to calibers...   lets say you want 5.45mm and want to convert to 7.62mm the port sizes, are going to change, which means the gas piston settings will need to be changed. if the whole assy is on the receiver you could change calibers, but you would have to redial in the gas piston settings.

If the gas piston is on the barrel, you can leave the setting in place for that setup. this also allows you so have long or short gas systems/pistons assy's depending on barrel length and caliber.

Look at AR15 pistol's... they are over gassed, which means you would have the same problem with other calibers and setups. but by having the system adjustable, and preadjusted for that setup, you no longer need to worry about it being overgassed.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: February 20 2010 at 11:29pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

From the LMG standpoint it's not a bad idea to keep the gas system on the barrel. in the case of the M60, the gas system stays with the barrel, and it's not a bad QC barrel setup, but it could have been improved.

Your gas piston gets hot just like the barrel, so letting it cool down helps with the extended firing.

M60 Cons..
Bipods attached to the barrel. this adds a lot of weight because you carry a bipod for each spare barrel.
You needed a glove for the barrel change. the carry handle was on the receiver and not the barrel.

The Pro's
It was simple
It was pretty quick
it was bullet proof

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: February 21 2010 at 12:35am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

as far as bipods go.. I would rather see the bipod attached to the receiver (or free floating handguard).

Basically in the style of the SVD, later H&K Snipers, and even the Galil sniper I saw tonight.

keeping the bipod off the barrel will eliminate strange harmonics based on hanging weight Vs resting on Bipod (changing the point of impact). Much like a fixed bayonet changes the point of aim on most rifles.

Grunt Medic TXARNG

Private
Private

Posted: March 11 2010 at 7:42am | IP Logged Quote Grunt Medic TXARNG

Hi, all! Newbie here - I looked for an introduction forum but didn't find one. Anyway, this concept is one I've been working on in my head ever since I learned of the 'do-it-all' rifle system ideas that have been developed over the years.

As to COTS components, MGI has their Hydra system - the AR lower has detachable mag wells in different calibers, and their upper features a removable barrel - which is a pretty great system, except that getting a Hydra and components for 2 or 3 calibers will set you back the price of an economy car.

VLTOR has its VIS upper which allow barrel changes using standard AR barrels as well - http://www.vltor.com/vis.htm - and is much more affordable.

Lastly, TNW firearms also has a quick change system - but one which uses a gas piston system.

I'd really like to see someone work out how to convert a stardard AR lower into a Hydra-style muti-caliber lower using removable mag wells.

My suggestions - glad to be part of the forum!
View Grunt Medic TXARNG's Profile Search for other posts by Grunt Medic TXARNG

dcorb

BG
BG

Posted: March 11 2010 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote dcorb

Welcome Grunt Medic TXARNG,

I am sure there is a introduction thread somewhere here but then again I cannot even find my own posts at times.
View dcorb's Profile Search for other posts by dcorb

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 11 2010 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Grunt Medic TXARNG wrote:
Hi, all! Newbie here - I looked for an introduction forum but didn't find one. Anyway, this concept is one I've been working on in my head ever since I learned of the 'do-it-all' rifle system ideas that have been developed over the years.

As to COTS components, MGI has their Hydra system - the AR lower has detachable mag wells in different calibers, and their upper features a removable barrel - which is a pretty great system, except that getting a Hydra and components for 2 or 3 calibers will set you back the price of an economy car.

VLTOR has its VIS upper which allow barrel changes using standard AR barrels as well - http://www.vltor.com/vis.htm - and is much more affordable.

Lastly, TNW firearms also has a quick change system - but one which uses a gas piston system.

I'd really like to see someone work out how to convert a stardard AR lower into a Hydra-style muti-caliber lower using removable mag wells.

My suggestions - glad to be part of the forum!

converting a standard lower would not be possible (the SN is on the mag well).

but it's possible to make a new design that would allow that option.

the AR would be pretty easy to design that way with a new lower receiver (maybe a steel or other alloy for more strength)

Grunt Medic TXARNG

Private
Private

Posted: March 12 2010 at 12:04am | IP Logged Quote Grunt Medic TXARNG

Good point re: being unable to remove the magwell when the SN is stamped there - I've only seen 1 or 2 lowers with the SN elsewhere. One possibility is to convert an 80% machined receiver into a removable magwell system - it could then be marked anywhere the builder chooses. I do like the idea of changing 3 pieces - barrel, bolt, and mag well - and shooting a different caliber. This especially makes sense to me for an SBR.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 12 2010 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

using a casting, or machining a lower module from steel would be the way to go.

Grunt Medic TXARNG

Private
Private

Posted: March 15 2010 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote Grunt Medic TXARNG

Hmmm - starting with 2 80% receivers, or an 80% for the rear half and a casting for the front half, it shouldn't be too hard to cut the 2 hales to lock together with a dovetail attachment... am I making any sense here???

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 15 2010 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Grunt Medic TXARNG wrote:
Hmmm - starting with 2 80% receivers, or an 80% for the rear half and a casting for the front half, it shouldn't be too hard to cut the 2 hales to lock together with a dovetail attachment... am I making any sense here???

You have the right thinking...
Agree x 1

<< Prev Topic Open Forum Next Topic >>

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version